The arts community is a very important part of my life. In fact, it is the reason I moved to Victoria more than 26-years ago.
It is a thriving hub of creativity that I know will benefit from another strong, supportive voice in local government. The arts in turn provides tremendous economic impact for businesses such as restaurants, hotels and tourism.
As Councillor I will work with my fellow councillors, not only in Victoria, but across Greater Victoria to advance a plan to create a stronger arts community by:
- Recognizing the arts community’s significant impact on Victoria’s culture and economy.
- Working to increase a steady stream of sustainable funding through evidence-based investment.
- Revising local government funding commitments and to support a move to a rolling five-year funding model, thereby providing certainty for the future of our community arts organizations.
- The development of cooperative agreements between all arts groups to promote the work and events of the arts community and enhanced support by existing local government communications resources.
- Advocacy for the development of an “Arts Centre” to provide secure space for community groups that is suitable and appropriate to their needs.
- I see arts groups struggle in our community because very often they do not have a permanent space in which they can create. The work of these groups strengthens, inspires and enriches our community - most of this work is through thousands volunteer hours.
- Their investment is recognized and enhanced.
- We place significant investment in sports, recreation and events, it’s time we rectify the arts deficit in our community.
Read Stephen's responses to the Victoria Arts Council:
Responses To The Arts Council
Read Stephen's responses to the Victoria ProArt survey:
Responses To ProArt Survey
Do you like this page?